The Denver Public Schools bought a large corporate office in downtown Denver to house all their administrative employees, a high school, a technical college, a cooking school, and an expeditionary school. The campus is named for the late 19th century/early 20th century educator Emily Griffith who founded the Opportunity School in 1916. By 1954 the school had served 10,000 students annually with over 400,000 alumni. Her motto was “For all who wish to learn.”
We worked with local kinetic sculptor, John King, to transform the lobby into a place full of vitality and whimsy. We installed columns of mixed wood and color, furniture with swooping backs and colorful swaths, muraled flying books and frogs, made a graffitti bench, and much more.